Becoming a Summer Clerk
Each year since 1983, MJF has raised money to place law students with public interest agencies across Minnesota. The clerkship application process is open during the month of January. Contact your school’s MJF Staff Attorney for more information.
Timeline for the MJF Summer Clerkship Program:
- August: MJF sends applications to public interest agencies across Minnesota, then solicits input from student members and past clerks before deciding upon the agencies to be funded.
- November – January: Once the agencies are selected, MJF advertises the program at each of the three Minnesota law schools: Mitchell Hamline School of Law, University of Minnesota Law School, and the University of St. Thomas School of Law. Any student not yet in their final year of law school is eligible to apply to up to 10 summer clerkships through Symplicity.
- February: Agencies decide which students they would like to interview, and MJF and the Career Services Offices facilitate that process. After the interviews, the agencies rank their candidates and MJF begins to notify successful candidates.
- May: After all the clerkships have been accepted, MJF conducts an orientation session to introduce MJF clerks to the program and answer any questions they may have. MJF clerks sign a List of Responsibilities acknowledging that they will adhere to program requirements.
- May: Agencies sign an Agency Agreement acknowledging that each will adhere to program requirements. MJF sends the stipend checks to each agency so that the agencies can put the clerks on the agency payroll.
- June: Each MJF clerk works 400 hours over the course of the summer. MJF conducts site visits at selected agencies to ensure that the program is running smoothly and to get ideas for improvement.
- September: Each MJF clerk is responsible for submitting a final evaluation of the clerkship and of MJF’s Summer Clerkship Program and a reflection essay. Each agency conducts a final evaluation of the clerk and the MJF program.
Learn more about the Summer Clerkship Program.